Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"Do you see what I see"

We really do depend upon the supernatural to build our churches. This may seem “unorthodox” to say, but sometimes we rely to much on God!

In Tom Reiner’s Book “Surprising Insights from the Unchurched” Tom really brings it down.  While you might say, “I’m believing in God bro” (aren't we all?) and if so, then why aren't all churches experiencing growth.  If God wants the church to grow and we want the church to grow, why isn't it growing? Could it be that 99% of our success will come from us and God’s 1% will make up the rest.  “No bro, it’s 99% God, 1% me, don’t’ you know “it’s not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit….”  Yes, yes, I know.  

Jesus told the disciples to walk their butts down to the beach, fill the jugs with water and lug the heavy jugs back to the wedding and then He turned them in to wine.  So who did more?  Jesus or the disciples, well obviously the miracle is the greatest part of that whole story, but much was laid upon the disciples.

I've had the opportunity to be in many different churches and some, quite frankly, as a visitor, I would not return to.

Dirty bathroom facilities, broken faucets…..,kids running all over taking over  the church,  Pastor is running around like a mad man, yelling at his disciples, stressed out….all you feel is stress, there’s nobody to greet you except for the Psycho who just started coming who wants to tell you about his visions.

There is still food on the floor from the last Fellowship, the sermon has 20 points mixed into what he says is 3 points. You don’t know if the sermon was on marriage, evangelism, giving, faith or all of the above.

I know what you’re saying, “Easy for you to say, you’re the arm chair quarterback” why don’t you get out here and do it yourself if you’re the expert, instead of criticizing”. 

I had a couple of Evangelists give me some hints of what wasn't that pleasant or good in my church and I did appreciate it.  Other’s just collected the paycheck and went home. 

While we don’t need everyone that comes through our churches telling us what we lack or what’s wrong, there should be a few that can.

I remember my aunt coming through our church and she sized me up big time.

She criticized me for wearing pants that didn't fit, they sagged in the butt and dragged on the floor. She said I looked sloppy and I should wear clothes that fit and look more professional. She was right!  I wonder how many visitors had noticed the same thing?  She criticized me for taking opportunity to take a cheap shot at Bill Clinton when it had nothing really, to do with the sermon (she was right).  How many visitors in the past had I offended with “not the Gospel” but my personnel opinion??? Then she criticized me for being long winded, going on and on….She was also right.

It’s all the little things, but they add up to convince visitors, “not to come back”.  

What are you doing or not doing that you are not seeing?  Are you your only critic?  Are you open to criticism about your church, your preaching, and the ambiance in your church?

Is your church going to grow by just the awesome Supernatural Means, 99% God, 1% you, it’s all God, it’s all God or will you take as much responsibility upon yourself and then, and only then, leave the rest to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment